Monday, February 6, 2017

No big letter

Jakob said he didn't have time to write a big letter this week. So, I'll share part of the super short one he sent me this afternoon:

It's kinda funny, because the weather here in Nuevo Laredo is kinda like in Utah: one day, it's blazing hot (somewhere around 90) and then the next day it's rainy and cold (about 45 or so) and then it's super humid. Well, okay, I guess UTah isn't that humid. But it changes a lot. Today is one of those super hot, humid days. It's kinda hard to tell how to plan for each day becuase every day is completely unrelated weather-wise with the previous day.
 
I still can't believe Corrine is old enough to drive. I'm glad I'm on the other end of the border.

(I told Jakob I wanted to move to Mexico because of the emotional teen-age girls.) I guess you could cook or clean, but we don't have any cooking or cleaning supplies. The fanciest thing we got in the kitchen is a non-functional microwave, and a small fridge. We don't have an oven. We just eat at member's houses all the time. It's kinda nice because we don't have to worry about cooking, but at the same time, it's just as stressful because we have to coordinate with the RS and make appointments, and sometimes I just want to learn how to cook something. Sure you still want to come out?
 

I thought I would share part of the letter he sent last week:
If I'm completely honest, I think I hit my spicy limit that day. Oh, yeah, I think I forgot to mention: the Mexicans like to put chili on their candy like Americans put sugar on theirs. It's hard to find candy that isn't "sabor chile". Also, they put chili powder on their cantaloupe. Apparently it's really popular. It's actually pretty good. Have Dad try it sometime and see what he thinks, then maybe you try it. 
 
The apartment is actually a house we are renting. All the houses here are really small, identical, and close together, like what you see in Harry Potter on Privet Drive. They are basically concrete boxes painted really bright colors. They are really cool. I'll have to send you a picture of my apartment. Sadly, I kinda forgot to take pictures this week. Don't get too mad at me. :) Also, this computer I'm using in an internet cafe deal won't let me pull pictures off my camera, so I don't think I can send you any, anyway. It's a bit annoying.

The Spanish is slowly coming along. I can speak it pretty well (pues, más o menos), but I can't understand most of what people say. With some people, I can pick out enough words so that I know what they are talking about and I can guess at some of the specifics, but with others, it's like, "gjuireonbut I don't like jkejr;iogjeorhg church a;ej;roigoeihroghoerg Catholic jaeio;rjaoerhg Adios." It's a bit frustrating that my companion only speaks Spanish, but I can communicate with him most of the time. Also, I'm teaching him English. It's kinda funny listening to him try to pronounce all of our extraordinarily weird words, especially "Schramm." We have a goal that, by the end of this transfer (in three more weeks!), he will be able to pronounce my name without stumbling too much. Be grateful we learned English as a native language, because most of these Latinos can't wrap their tounges around words like "Schramm".

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment