Monday, February 20, 2017

First Tansfer Over!

Today is the first day of my second transfer in the field. (For those who don't know, the mission is divided into six-week periods called transfers. Anytime there is a companion or area change, it happens between transfers).

It's crazy to think that I've been a missionary for three months now. It hasn't really felt that long. I'm slowly getting a hang of the Spanish, meaning that I can usually understand most people and most of the conversation, and I can usually contribute. I'm obviously still working on it all, but things are slowly but surely coming.

This week was a little crazy. We are losing a bunch of our investigators, but we are finding new interested people all over, so I'm not sure what to think. Also, we had a super epic lightning storm last night. It was beautiful, but we had to stay inside because we didn't want to die.

And now, this week on Contact of the Week: This week's contact is basically just a bunch of generic contacts that we've had. There are missionaries from the Jehovah's Witnesses (Testigos de Jehova, or TJs), and a lot of people confuse us with them. Nearly every contact, we hear something like this:

Contact:Wait, are you Jehovah's Witnesses? Because I talked to them a little bit and they were very weird.
Us: No, we're from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. It's a different church. If you see a missionary without a nametag like this, they're not from our church.
Contact: So . . . you're not Jehovah's Witnesses . . . because they are really weird, and they don't celebrate birthdays or anything, and I don't want to join a weird church like that.
Us: No, we;re not them. We're completely different. Would you like to hear our message?

The TJs are a big headache for us because they usually harm our reputation, but I usually just have to laugh.

Anyway, I'm out of time today (I swear, the email hour every P-day is the shortest hour of the week!), so I'll have to end.

Thanks for all your prayers, letters, and support!

Lots of love from Nuevo Laredo!

These are the pictures Jakob sent today:


 

No comments:

Post a Comment