Monday, February 27, 2017

Dirt bike


Hola!

This week was a crazy week. President Nelson of the Quorum of the Twelve came to Monterrey, so everyone in Nuevo Laredo got packed into a bus Wednesday night and rode for three hours back to Monterrey for the conference Thursday morning. We ended up having President Nelson, Elder Clayton from the Presidency of the Seventy, and two Area Seventies come. Pres. Nelson said that there haven't been that many General Authorities in Monterrey before, and it will likely never happen again, so it was super cool to have that experience. Both Monterrey missions (West and East) were present, with the neighboring Renosa mission joining in via satellite (shoutout to everyone in Renosa!!). Pres. Nelson talked about how the Restoration is the fulfillment of prophecy since the days of Adam, and how the Abrahamic Covenant is just as relevant to our day as it was to the Israelites. It was really super cool!

And yes, yours truly did get to play the piano. I was really horribly scared to play in front of a General Authority, but I haven't been excommunicated or sent home or anything so I must not have messed up too badly.

We took a picture with the General Authorities in front of the GORGEOUS Monterrey Temple, and they said that each missionary would get a copy of the picture, but I haven't gotten it yet, so I can't share it with you all just yet.

This week, two more elders were sent to Nuevo Laredo. Our area has been divided in half, and they have one half. It's nice because I think our area is the largest by area in the whole mission, so it's impossible for Elder Bonilla and I to reach everybody farther away, so it's nice to get some help, but it's also a little bit frusterating because by taking that particular bit of our area (closer to the center of Nuevo Laredo), they also stole about 80% of the ward and Walmart. Now we are the country bumpkins on the very outskirts of town. Oh, well. We'll learn to manage. This is a picture of the day we trained them in the area. I stayed here with Elder Perez while Elder Bonilla took Elder Aguilar to their new area to show them around. They stayed in our house for a couple of days until the zone leaders could officially get them a house and move in.
Also, Elder Bonilla really likes to take the back roads to get to places, and after a really big rainstorm on Monday, the streets (which aren't designed to drain water like they are in the States) get really flooded. This is basically what we looked like the first few days of this week:
I love mudding and everything, but only when I'm inside a Jeep where I can't get muddy and which has a better suspension than the bikes we're using. :) We don't worry, though, because that's what washing machines are for.
Also, as a random side note, the highway that passes between the church and most members' homes (where we eat lunch right after church) passes right next to the border. I thought I should snap a picture of my home--or at least Texas. Texas is pretty cool, too.
Oh, yes, I almost forgot Contact of the Week.
It wasn't really a contact this week, but I thought it was funny so I'll put it here. We have this one particular investigator who we can only teach at night on her porch. There's this one neighbor of hers who has dropped in on our lessons to listen in. Every time, he's completely drunk. I have no idea who he is or where he lives or what he's like when he's sober, but somehow he finds out that we are teaching Ana Luisa and he decided to drop in very suddenly, saying something like, Ï love hearing the word of God! You guys won't keep me from hearing the word of God, won't you? You know, you gueros (white guys) are really cool people." Or something along those lines. I have a hard enough time understanding Spanish, let alone drunk Spanish. Anyway, we're trying to decide if he's a regular investigator now because he's visited with us several times now.

Anyway, I'm about out of time, so unfortunately I can't write much more. Thanks for everything!! Keep being awesome everyone!!

--
Elder Jakob Schramm

No comments:

Post a Comment