Monday, January 30, 2017

Week....?

I've really gotten into the missionary life this week. When I started, it was like someone yanked me out of the little kiddie pool that was the MTC and chucked me into the deep end. The Spanish, the culture, the life of a real missionary compared to a MTC one was all a bit shocking. Three weeks later, I've still got no idea what I'm doing, and half the time I can't understand what anyone says, but I'm starting to figure out how to tread water. I can (usually) say things to my companion, Elder Bonilla, and (sometimes) I can understand what he says back. It's kinda frustrating at times, but it's also been a great learning experience. I've really taken to heart a passage from the Book or Mormon:
And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.

(Ether 12:27)
This week, my testimony has been tried a lot, and it's also grown a lot as I've learned how to rely on the Savior more. I've had a lot of challenges this week, especially since Elder Bonilla is having me do more things, such as contacting people on the streets, giving more points during lessons, and more. I've gained even more testimony that the gift of tongues is real and that God is with His missionaries.

Quick report on the investigators: Carina has basically disappeared this week. She sent us a couple of text messages around Tuesday saying that a friend of hers got into a car wreck and needs care, so she wouldn't be able to have any lessons or go to church this week. We offered her help, but she said we didn't ahve to do anything. We haven't heard from her since then, and we hope everythign is okay. I really hope she hasn't bailed on us in a rreally elaborate fashion, because she certainly seems like a golden investigator.

On a better note, one of our investigators, Ana Luisa, is almost ready to be baptized. She has been coming to church pretty regularly, and she has been pretty successful in overcoming a drinking problem. She really likes the Gospel, and she has seen the blessings of living it. She is scheduled to be baptized on the 18th of Februrary!!

Also, we found another golden investigator this week: Nora. We found her contacting on Friday. She has never gone to church, but various challenges in her life have led her to seek God. She agreed to come to church (yay!) and to get baptized (WHOO!!). The best part is that all of this was during our first contact with her. No one is ever that anxious to get baptized! We're really excited for her, especially since she actually came to church!! If she keeps coming to church, she can get baptized on the 4th of March. We're so excited!!! Being a missionary is awesome!

Anyway, that's all the time I have for today. Also, the computer at this Internet cafe I'm in won't let me access the pictures on my camera, so I also don't have pictures this week. Sorry. Maybe next week.

Thanks for all your love and support!!

Love from Nuevo Laredo!!

No comments:

Post a Comment