Monday, January 23, 2017

2nd week in the field

Hey all!!
This week has officially been labeled the Week of the Strangest Things I've Eaten on the Mission.
On Sunday, we had lunch with a member family, and for dessert, they introduced me to something rather Mexican. I can't remember exactly what it was called, but it was something like covered apples. (Manzanas cubiertas). Basically, you take an apple, wrap it in this weird caramelly type stuff, and sprinkle 7 tons of chili powder on it. I have a picture to show you what it looks like.

Yes, I ate it:

It was rather weird. My taste buds kinda liked it, but my digestive tract didn't. I spent a long time in the bathroom shortly afterwards.Also, for dinner, we went to another member's house. He is from Honduras, and he is the closest thing I've seen to a redneck out here. He is very outdoorsy, and he made us this dinner of grilled fish. It was so fresh, that it had still had the head and everything on it when we arrived. He basically just grilled it whole. It was really good, and we ended up making fish tacos with them. I really liked it. It was strange, but good:

Also, since our zone is the largest zone in the mission by land area, and since I think we are in one of the biggest areas in that zone, we will be getting bicycles tomorrow. It's awesome because we often spend an hour walking between colonias (neighborhoods) just to make appointments. It's gonna be great!

Also, on a really random side note, I have noticed that people here drive just as insanely as the people in Mexico City. Everyone--including us pedestrians--lives and dies by the rule of If You Can Get Your Car to Fit Between those Other Two Cars or Get Your Body Across the Street Without Getting Crushed by a Car, Go For It. It's utter insanity. Also, I found it weird that it is more common to have Texas plates on your car than Tamaulipas (the state we are in) plates. About half of the cars I've seen (maybe a little more) were bought and registered on the other side of the border because going into the States and buying a car there and registering it are less expensive and less time-consuming than simply staying here and doing it. Only about two-thirds of the remaining cars have Tamaulipas plates, and most of the rest are simply unregistered. Most people don't care. I just thought it was funny.

Anyway, on a more spiritual note, Elder Bonilla and I found a golden investigator. Most people say that they are interested in hearing our message, and we set up an appointment to meet with them, but when it comes time to have the appointment, either we realize that the address they gave us was fake or they simply never appear to be home when we stop by. It's rather annoying. This investigator, however, is different. Carina in a student living with her family, and she not only read the lesson pamphlets we gave her (which is extremely rare), she also wrote down a bunch of questions and comments and we had a great first visit with her. She committed to reading the Book of Mormon, going to church, and even to getting baptized next month (all in the first visit!!!). The drudgery, monotony, and disappoint of the mission life all wash away when you find someone who actually wants to learn and progress. It's refreshing working with those we call escogidos (chosen).

Anyway, I'm really getting to enjoy Mexico. The people here are super friendly, and It's nice to see that the work is progressing, at least for some people. It's only been two weeks and I have already learned a ton. Thanks for all of your love, support, prayers, and emails.

Lots of love from Mont--I mean Nuevo Laredo!!

No comments:

Post a Comment