Monday, May 15, 2017

They just don't make bikes like they used to, Daniel got Baptized, and CAMBIOS!

Hey, all!

Before I get started with the really cool stuff, I have to say that apparently missionaries use and abuse their bikes. Either that, or our bikes are just really low quality. We have had a ton of little (and a few rather large) problems with our bikes the last couple of weeks. I'm not entirely sure how, but today, Elder Garcia basically bent the rear axle on the bike, and all the gears and everything are out of alignment and the tire won't move. And all this was about 50 feet out of the parking lot of the grocery store. So we had to walk a mile or two back to the house, dragging the bike with us (along with a week's worth of groceries!). So now we're out a bike. We're going to try to spend a little bit of time this week taking it apart and finding out what we need to do to fix it and acquire the parts we need. Ugh. I'm just glad that we have buses here, or going to the church would be impossible.

Okay, rant over. Now for the fun stuff. :)

Daniel was baptized this week!!! He has been really excited to be baptized, and it was a great service! We had to get a little creative because he has a wheelchair, but we got it all figured out. Since he still has part of his legs, he can kinda sorta walk very short distances, so we had to put his chair right up to the edge of the font, then help him descend into the water. I had to help Elder Garcia baptize him, which was really cool! It was as if it was all slow-motion like in all the missionary movies. :) It was good because, even though things took a little more time than usual, we managed to do everything on the first try.
I confirmed him a member on Sunday. I'm glad my Spanish is at the level it is now, because I'm not sure how things would have gone if I was still in training. I hope the Spirit took over, because I was super nervous. The bishop seemed okay with what I did, so hopefully I didn't mess up too badly.
 
Sunday night, we received news about the transfers, and it turns out, I'll be here for another 6 weeks! That means I'll have been here for almost 6 months, which is an unusually long amount of time to stay in one area, but I guess there's a reason. It's all okay, because I really like this area!

On a random note, Nuevo Laredo seems to have really pretty sunsets:
This email is kinda short this week, so I apologize, but basically all we could focus on this week was the baptism and transfers. It was a really good week this week! I'm excited to see what the next transfer brings!

Muchas gracias por sus oraciones y fe para mi y para los en la misión! El Espíritu del Señor esté con ustedes!
 
The last meeting with the district and with the zone, repectively. Don't ask me why Elder Fernandez has an antler. I'm not sure where or why he got it, or why it's in the photo.

 
Daniel:
A pretty cool tag photo, if I do say so myself.

Elder Jakob Schramm

No comments:

Post a Comment