Monday, March 13, 2017

I hate changing clocks

Hey, all!
I just have to take a little bit of time for my traditional Daylight Savings rant. We sprang forward on Sunday, and we're all feeling the lack of an hour of sleep. Turns out, Mexico has a different Daylight Savings schedule than the States (they still spring forward an hour and all that, they just do it at a different day of the year), except for the border towns, which use the US's  schedule. Nuevo Laredo jumped ahead with the States, but the mission offices in Monterrey won't jump forward for another couple of weeks, so things are interesting. I don't see why, if part of Mexico does whatever the US does, that the rest of Mexico doesn't follow suit and save themselves the headache. Well, okay, I don't see why we simply dump Daylight Savings Time in the first place, but I guess I can't be too demanding.

Okay. Now that I'm done with that, I can tell you what else happened this week.

We had stake conference this week, so that was good to meet some of the members in the other wards. Also, the stake president is pretty funny. Basically he roasted everybody for not participating in the missionary work like we should. Also, the entire theme of the priesthood session was how to get less active members to return to church.

Our mission president and his wife also spoke. I think they are the coolest people ever. President speaks pretty good Spanish, but Hermana McArthur  . . . well, let's just say that she's not exactly a Latina just yet, so the talk was in Spanglish, translated into Spanish by the President. It was kinda funny because I could understand her English and her Spanish, but my companion doesn't speak English, so I kinda had to help with with the English parts. All in all, it was a great conference.

We've been working a lot with the less active families in the ward lately. We only got one to attend the stake conference this Sunday, but we're going to keep trying this week.
Contact of the Week:
Basically everyone is Christian or at the very least believes in God. Most people are interested in hearing us for the sake of heaing the word of God, but there are a few people who really don't want to talk to us. One lady basically told us, "I already have the Gospel, share it with those who don't". We kept trying to tell her that we didn't want to take anything from her faith, but simply add to it, but she was relentless. Eventually she just said that she had to go wash dishes but it's great that some guys as young as us were preaching the good word of God and God bless and all that, boodbye. What was funny is that, when we first knocked on her door, she said that one of her favorite things to do was listen to the word of God. That's what we're here for. Oh, well. You meet interesting people in the mission.

I don't have much time left, but I want to thank all of you for your letters, prayers, and support.

Buena suerte!
Elder Jakob Schramm
 
From Camille: The conference pictures are from Sister McArthur. Whats up with my boys hair? Anyway, Jakob told me this: "Oh, by the way, we've been making Mexican food all wrong. I might have to take a little time to show you how to make and eat Mexican food properly, but for now, I put some pictures of a really great meal we had with a member in the Google Drive folder I shared with you. She makes her own tortillas with what's basically corn flour mixed with water, then the dough is squished with this tortilla press thing. It's pretty cool."


Guess I will have to go to more Mexican Restaurants.... you know, for research.  I wonder if he realizes we aren't Mexican?!

No comments:

Post a Comment